Saturday, May 18, 2013

SEWING TIP #1:   Don't assume you will never need/buy another machine again. Even if  you think or a a sales person tells you "this machine has everything".   Sewing machine are computers now so just like other electronic devices they become obsolete as soon as you buy them.  
2 years ago I bought a Pfaff 2.0 machine for a fair bit of money.  I chose that one because it was the only brand at the time to have the built in even feed for quilting.  The part I do like best is the very large  sewing area-- it fits a large quilt and I can easily turn quilts without having to re-roll them all the time.  But, as soon as I bought that machine, the patent was up on the even feed ( I think or maybe the other companies decided to copy finally) and now most of the brands have the built in even feed.  You still need to get an upscale one to get it though.  I did however just find this fabulous "new"  feature in a very inexpensive machine:  pedal free sewing.  With just a push of a button the machine sews and there is an adjustable speed.  It is available I am sure in various brands but I bought a $200 Brother sewing machine that is electronic and has this pedal free sewing.  My legs were getting tired with so many hours of sewing ( and in the past sometimes my hips).  It gives my legs a break.  If you know someone with limited use of their legs, this feature would enable them to sew again.  My 12 year old son said he would invent a sewing machine that runs on brain waves one day... who knows what they will really invent next.

No comments:

Post a Comment